Sludge in the San Bernard Update - 3/21/22
Posted on Mar 21st, 2022
City of Brazoria WWTP Temporary Mitigation Discussion
Weekly Report Mon Mar 21, 2022
Mark Rudolph, Strand Associates, Inc.
Oxidation Ditch Solids Removal
- Magna Flow is currently working on the 20th trailer load of sludge removed from the oxidation ditch, but are less than halfway to the point of maximum sludge removal based on an estimate from the City.
- The City’s current budget would allow for up to 26 loads of removed sludge, and Council will deliberate tomorrow evening on whether to continue financing the sludge removal or stop once the current budget limit is reached.
- The City published an article in the local paper on 3/12 to inform the public about the ongoing efforts at the WWTP.
- A citizen recently reached out to the City regarding an information request about the WWTP, which the City responded to.
- The City is continuing to work with a consultant on a website platform to share updates on all construction projects with the public.
- All other contractors are lined up and ready to begin work on installing aerators, etc. within a few days of receiving confirmation that Magna Flow is finished removing solids.
- The City is considering use of additive products to supplement the treatment process in the short term to improve treatment quality.
Note - Sat Mar 19th, visual observation by river resident:
A small flow into the river from the WWTP discharge pipe. The effluent liquid color was chocolate brown and there was a pungent odor. You could see the differential color line in the river where the effluent met river water, even with other boat traffic.
City of Brazoria Council Special Meeting
Tues March 22, 2022, 6:00 pm
City Council Chamber
201 S. Main, Brazoria, Tx
Consideration/Action to approve additional funds to make improvements at Wastewater Treatment Plant that have now reached emergency status, to attempt to temporarily improve conditions at the Wastewater Treatment Plant.