Seventy Five Years Ago on the River
Posted on Nov 4th, 2018
Vintage 1947 Phillips 66 Petroleum Credit Card - "Passport to Everywhere".
According to the Sun Nov 4 FACTS newspaper “YesterYears” column, work on dredging the Phillips 66 terminal on the San Bernard River, located about 4.5 miles upriver from the railroad bridge, was started 75 years ago in 1943 (remember WWII was still happening).
It was to be used by the then Defense Plant Corporation and Harrison Oil Company, a 100 octane aviation gasoline plant located on the north edge of the Old Ocean oilfield. The refinery was purchased by Phillips 66 in 1947 and still produces aviation fuels, gasoline, and diesel besides petrochemical material, home heating oil and coke. Towboats, such has the M/V Drum Point (seen below) push barges filled with these products down river to storage facilities in Freeport.