Login | Register
 
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Calendar
 
Board of Directors
Environment
Boat Parades
Community Outreach
News
Merchandise
Mouth
River Facts
Newsletter
Photo Albums
Volunteers
Youth Programs
Fundraiser
Community Center
Sponsors
Discussion Forum
Archives
Request Manager
 
 
News
 

Return to Archives
A Historic Look Back: Hinkle's Ferry
Posted on Jul 22nd, 2017

 
Hinkle's Ferry, Tx
 
Photo was taken in 1956 standing on Cobb’s Grocery Store side of the river looking east at Hinkle property and CR 310. The ferry was replaced by a bridge in 1958.
 
Photo Charlie Ogilvie
Near CR 310 on the San Bernard River was an old ferry crossing and the community of Hinkle’s Ferry. The namesake of the community was J. V. Hinkle, who ran the ferry and operated the general store in the mid - 1880s. The community's post office was established in 1877 and was discontinued in 1914. By 1896, the community had a population of thirty-five residents, a gristmill and cotton gin, several general stores, and a Methodist church. That year Hinkle's Ferry also had a school with one teacher and eleven students.
 
The former Cobb’s Grocery Store is now a private residence and the land on the east bank of the river is still Hinkle property.
 
John's Story
John (Jack) M. McLaren, 93, of Trinity, Texas passed away on August 4, 2013. He was born on April 30, 1920 in Columbus, Ohio and moved to Texas as a three year old...As he requested, no services will be held, and his cremated remains will be scattered near his boyhood home on the San Bernard River near Hinkle’s Ferry, Texas.  ––Published August 12, 2013 in “The Huntsville Item" newspaper
 
Comments
Add Comment
No Comments

 

 
© Copyright 2017 Friends Of the River San Bernard | Homeowner Association Website by HOA Sites | Terms of Use | Admin