Login | Register
 
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Calendar
 
Board of Directors
Environment
Boat Parades
Community Outreach
News
Merchandise
Mouth
River Facts
Newsletter
Photo Albums
Volunteers
Youth Programs
Fundraiser
Community Center
Sponsors
Discussion Forum
Archives
Request Manager
 
 
Welcome
 
~ News ~
Announcing 32nd Annual Christmas Boat Parade Theme
Posted on Nov 9th, 2018 Comments (0)
Watch for details coming next week...
 
Seventy Five Years Ago on the River
Posted on Nov 4th, 2018 Comments (0)
According to the Sun Nov 4 FACTS newspaper “YesterYears” column, work on dredging the Phillips 66 terminal on the San Bernard River, located about 4.5 miles upriver from the railroad bridge, was started 75 years ago in 1943 (remember WWII was still happening).
 
It was to be used by the then Defense Plant Corporation and Harrison Oil Company, a 100 octane aviation gasoline plant located on the north edge of the Old Ocean oilfield. The refinery was purchased by Phillips 66 in 1947 and still produces aviation fuels, gasoline, and diesel besides petrochemical material, home heating oil and coke. Towboats, such has the M/V Drum Point (seen below) push barges filled with these products down river to storage facilities in Freeport.
Vintage 1947 Phillips 66 Petroleum Credit Card - "Passport to Everywhere".
 
Trash Picked Up on FM 2611
Posted on Nov 3rd, 2018 Comments (0)
 
Get involved and help keep the San Bernard looking beautiful!
 
A BIG THANKS to eleven FOR volunteers who picked up someone's carelessly tossed litter along a two mile stretch of FM 2611 at the Churchill Bridge on Sat Nov 3rd. The pile of trash bags piled under the Adopt a Highway sign totaled twenty-three plus a trashed highway sign! The participants included Committee Chairman Mike PudloTim Logan, Jane Logan, Brian Meagher, Sophia Meagher, Susan Bailey, Bert Smith, Ange Ronayne, Pat Wolever, Denise Wolever, and Wayne Head. Pct 4 Deputy Constable Glenn Whiiesant provided the safety alert to motorists along the pickup area. 
 
 
 
Seen on the River: M/V Drum Point
Posted on Oct 22nd, 2018 Comments (0)
Photo Linda Wright 10-22-18
 
It's 10:30 pm, dark on the river with patches of fog. You hear and almost feel the powerful engines throbbing first, then a powerful spotlight flicks from side to side, bouncing off the boat houses and river bank. Amazingly enough it's almost silent as it approaches from around a bend.
 
It's the M/V DRUM POINT, a twin screw towboat seen traveling downriver from the Phillips 66 terminal near Old Ocean pushing a barge full of product.
 
The towboat was built in 2005 by Hope Services, Dulac, La. and originally owned by Maryland Marine, Inc., Houston, Tx. then transferred to Higman Barge Lines, Inc., Houston, Tx, and finally now Kirby Marine.
 
Her length is 72 feet, breadth 30 feet, and runs on Cummins KTA38-M1 diesels, 2000 hp. The engines are turned by Twin Disc red with 6.18:1 ratios.
 
A historical factoid: Did you know that Drum Point is listed on the National Register of Historic Places––not the towboat but the light station.
 
Work on the Drum Point ight station was started on July 17, 1883 near the mouth of the Patuxent River where it meets the Chesapeake Bay. This screwpile, cottage-type light is only one of three remaining from forty-five that once served the Chesapeake Bay at the beginning of the twentieth century. 
 
Decommissioned in 1962, the lighthouse was trashed by vandals until moved to its present site  at Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, Maryland in 1975 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 
 
Past Web Articles
Posted on Apr 3rd, 2013 Comments (1)
 
To view past web articles, click on "View Archives" on the right  >>>>>>

 

Friends of the River (F.O.R) San Bernard, Texas

 


 
   
     

 

 
© Copyright 2018 Friends Of the River San Bernard | Condo Website by HOA Sites | Terms of Use | Admin